Have you ever wondered the longest and biggest ancient architecture i.e. the great wall of china is 21,196.18 km (13,170.7 mi).
The Great Wall of China was built over 2,000 years ago, by Qin Shi Huangdi, the first emperor of Chin.
It is believed that it took over 20 years to built the Wall.
In Chinese the wall is called "Wan-Li Qang-Qeng" which means 10,000-Li Long Wall (10,000 Li = about 5,000 km).
The average height of the walls is 7.8 meters (25.6 feet), and the highest is 14 meters (46 feet).
It crosses 9 provinces and municipalities of China : Hebei, Beijing, Inner Mongolia, Shaanxi, Ningxia, Gansu, Liaoning, Shanxi, Tianjin.
As a must see architecture of China, it attracts 50 millions vistors every year.
“The Old Dragon's Head” is part of the Shanhai Pass (also known as Shanhaiguan) of the Great Wall of China. It is where the Great Wall ends to the East and leads into the Bohai Sea.
The Great Wall facts
- Chinese name: 长城 (Chángchéng /channg-chnng/ 'Long Wall')
- Location: Northern China
- Length: 21,196.18 km (13,170.7 mi), all known sections were measured
- History: more than 2,000 years
Why was the great wall of China build
- It was built in different areas by different states/dynasties to protect different territorial borders.
- To prevent invasion
- To protect Silk Road trade
When & Who build the Great Wall
- It's often said that the First Emperor of Qin built the Great Wall. Actually he was not the first to build it
See the Pictures below of the emperor who built the wall